Monday, August 23, 2010

Another Transfer!!!

Wow... so after probably what was close to a mission record for length of time in one area (7 months in St. Robert, MO), Elder Goodale transferred from there to Joplin, MO for three weeks, then emergency transferred to Springfield, MO for another three weeks, and this week he's transferring again! Between Michelle and I, we had a number of e-mail exchanges with him today, so I summarize below. Bentonville, AR, by the way, is the global headquarters for Wal-Mart, so maybe he'll teach some Wal-Mart executives!

We do not know his mailing address in Bentonville yet; we won't get that until next Monday. If you have anything to mail to him this week, please send it to the mission office:
Elder Justin Goodale
Oklahoma Tulsa Mission
5215 E 71st Street, Suite 300
Tulsa, OK 74136
--------------------
Justin's General E-Mails:
(1) Can you believe I'm getting transferred again? With this emergency transfer it's been really weird with just the 2 3-week areas in a row. I'm still figuring out where I am here and now I'm leaving again. It's tough because I know obviously I was here for a purpose but I'm trying to figure out what that is. It'll be nice knowing that I'm in Bentonville (Arkansas) semi-permanently (at least for 3 months...) I'll still be a Zone Leader out there, in the Rogers Zone.
(2) I'm a little bummed because there is actually a family getting baptized on Saturday, just two days after I leave! Their names are Chris and Candice, and their 9 year old daughter Taylor is also getting baptized that day. They have two other boys, but one is 7 and the other is 5. There are good things getting going here.
(3) We had another cool miracle this week from doing service. Last Tuesday we went and volunteered for a couple of hours at the Ozark Food Harvest (we'll be going again tomorrow morning, and basically every Tuesday) and there was a really cool kid there named DeMarcus. He's 17 and he goes to school with several of the members here. We were working with him and got to talking (it was actually him that brought up the gospel) and he was pretty interested and really cool. So the next night we talked to one of his good friends and told her she should invite him to church and see was he said. And he came! That was pretty cool. We're seeing a lot of awesome stuff with service.
--------------------
Question from Mom: That is cool (your transfer). You haven’t spent much time in Arkansas so it will be nice for you to do that. Do you think you can get a transfer to Kansas in before you go so that you can  be in every state? :-)
Reply from Elder Goodale: That would be nice, but I doubt it... Especially with only two transfers left... Actually I can guarantee you I won't because even if I do get transferred again (which I seriously, seriously, seriously doubt) I would stay a Zone Leader and there aren't any Zone Leader areas in Kansas. I consider myself a 4-stater, though, because when I served in Miami part of our area covered Kansas. In fact the second biggest town we covered was Baxter Springs, Kansas, and we worked there at least once, sometimes twice, a week. We also covered Treece Kansas, but we never worked there because it's like 3 blocks by 4 blocks. The whole town. But we did plenty of missionary work in Baxter Springs, so I think it counts as serving in Kansas. :)
--------------------
A follow-up to some sports/college, etc. discussions that he and I had been having. It's kind of odd... all his mission he's never talked about this stuff, but obviously with the end in near, he needs to start preparing for what's next. We've already done the application for him to go return to BSU, but he's asking us to facilitate different options, as well, just to have all the bases covered.
Elder Goodale: So I heard a rumor that Fresno St and Nevada were going to the Mountain West, and that the WAC is basically dissolving. That is one thing that may seriously keep me from going to Utah State. I mean their football team was already deterrent enough, but now as if the WAC wasn't enough of a joke already it's going to be really bad with Nevada, Fresno, and BSU gone. It'll be scary bad. I'm not sure I want to go to a WAC school.
--------------------
And finally, Elder Goodale's reply to Christopher submitting his mission papers and the question of where he thinks Christopher might get called to.
Elder Goodale: Wow. That's so amazing. That's really awesome. I'm going to guess the Philippines if he goes foreign and if he stays stateside I'm going to say Florida.

No comments: