Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving at the MTC

We just got an e-mail from Justin, and it sounds like he's doing great. It's hard to believe that on Wednesday, already, he'll be heading out of the MTC and out to Oklahoma (or wherever they'll send him when he gets there). Just check out the puns/jokes in the e-mail below. I hereby officially apologize to the world for giving him my sense of humor! Here is Justin's e-mail:
You guys scared me with that surgery thing! I got your letter before I had a chance to check my email, so when you said Steven had a successful surgery I had no idea what you were talking about and I was a little worried. I'm glad he's doing well though. I can't believe I only have one more day in the MTC! Soon I'll be teaching real people! I can't wait! I'm a little nervous, but I feel ready. I've learned so much since I've been here. I'm so excited to get out in the real world.

Thanksgiving was really good. The dinner itself wasn't anything special because all they had was turkey and since I've been raised to believe that turkey is fowl, I didn't eat too much... Dinner was still fun though, because two of the Elders in our district had a pretty epic eating contest that was really fun to watch. And of course the Idaho boy (Idaho Falls, to be exact) won. :) The other Elder was from Phoenix. The rest of the days activities were really great. We had a huge service project in which we made 10,000 first aid kits that were sent to hurricane victims in Cuba and Haiti and that whole area. It was cool too because as Zone Leaders, Elder Phillips and I had a pretty big role in organizing the whole thing. Other than that there isn't really too much to talk about. All we do is sit in class all day... Oh and mom you asked for my favorite scripture on missionary work and it would probably have to be D&C 84:90. This is what the Lord told the first missionaries He sent out - "And he who feeds you, or clothes you, or gives you money, shall in nowise lose his reward." Just kidding. :) I really like D&C 15:6 and Mosiah 28:3. Those are both good ones. Well that's all for now! Thanks for the pictures and all the letters you've sent! I can't wait to hear from you again! I love you!
Me making first aid kits on Thanksgiving. I was running that table and totally wasn't ready for the picture.


Justin quoted Doctrine and Covenants 84:90, so I won't list that here, but here are the other two scripture references (linked above, but also posted below):
Doctrine and Covenants 15:6. And now, behold, I say unto you, that the thing which will be of the most worth unto you will be to declare repentance unto this people, that you may bring souls unto me, that you may rest with them in the kingdom of my Father.
Mosiah 28:3. Now they were desirous that salvation should be declared to every creature, for they could not bear that any human soul should perish; yea, even the very thoughts that any soul should endure endless torment did cause them to quake and tremble.
For those of you who have asked, "Why is Justin going on a mission?," those two scriptures explain his feelings pretty well. I know that he will find great joy and satisfaction in his missionary service, along with some difficult times, as well. In this regard, Alma 36:21 sum up how I felt about my mission to Nagoya Japan oh-so-many-years-ago, and I bet Justin will find this, as well, "Yea, I say unto you, my son, that there could be nothing so exquisite and so bitter as were my pains. Yea, and again I say unto you, my son, that on the other hand, there can be nothing so exquisite and sweet as was my joy."
Now that Justin has left the MTC, please be sure to write him at his mission address:
Elder Justin Michael Goodale
Oklahoma Tulsa Mission
5215 E 71st Street, Suite 300
Tulsa, OK 74136

No comments: